Re: apt-findremovable v0.1 (initial release)

    Alexey> On Wed, 04 Oct 2006 18:07:02 +0700, Raphael Hertzog
    Alexey> <hertzog@debian.org> wrote:
    >>> Some of us are partial to apt-get and would appreciate
    >>> apt-findremovable.

    >> I would rather appreciate that apt-get and aptitude share the
    >> information of which packages have been explicitely installed
    >> and which have been automatically installed.

    Alexey> Why not just stop using apt-get? aptitude can do
    Alexey> everything the same as apt-get and even supports the same
    Alexey> command line parameters.

I have found (in the past) that aptitude gets confused if it downloads
a corrupt file (e.g. because the version on the server is corrupt),
and instead of telling the user of the problem, the file is ignored
and deleted, resulting in the user assuming an upgrade went
flawlessly, when in actual fact it didn't. Not sure if this is fixed
yet or not.

When this has happened in the past, I have spent all my available time
working out why aptitude is repeatedly downloading the same file, and
then trying to work out why the file is corrupt, that I run out of
time to file meaningful bug reports.

apt-get on the other hand will tell the user immediately of any
problems.
--
Brian May <bam@debian.org>