Re: apt-findremovable v0.1 (initial release)

On Wed, 04 Oct 2006, Alexey Feldgendler wrote:
> On Wed, 04 Oct 2006 18:07:02 +0700, Raphael Hertzog <hertzog@debian.org> wrote:
>
> >> Some of us are partial to apt-get and would appreciate
> >> apt-findremovable.
>
> > I would rather appreciate that apt-get and aptitude share the information
> > of which packages have been explicitely installed and which have been
> > automatically installed.
>
> Why not just stop using apt-get? aptitude can do everything the same as
> apt-get and even supports the same command line parameters.

Because "aptitude dist-upgrade" didn't work for upgrading my sarge
desktop to etch... it was unable to compute a solution while apt-get did
just fine. And this even if I tried to help him by indicating which
packages to remove and which packages to install.

And dist-upgrading involves lots of installation of new packages... and
removal of old packages.

I aptitude dist-upgrade regularly in my sid chroot without troubles. But
upgrading from one release to the other is almost impossible with aptitude
only, in particular if you have many packages installed with some who have
been removed from Debian in the mean time and so on.

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog