Bug#389776: ITP: dballe -- Database for punctual meteorological data
Owner: Enrico Zini <email@example.com>
* Package name : dballe
Version : 2.5
Upstream Author : Enrico Zini <firstname.lastname@example.org> for ARPA SIM
* URL : http://www.smr.arpa.emr.it/software/DBalle.html
* License : GPL
Programming Lang: C
Description : Database for punctual meteorological data
DB-All.e is a fast on-disk database where meteorological observed and
forecast data can be stored, searched, retrieved and updated.
This framework allows to manage large amounts of data using its simple
Application Program Interface, and provides tools to visualise, import
and export in the standard formats BUFR, AOF and CREX.
These are the main characteristics of DB-ALL.e:
* Fortran, C, C++ and Python APIs are provided.
* To make computation easier, data is stored as physical quantities,
that is, as measures of a variable in a specific point of space and
time, rather than as a sequence of report.
* Internal representation is similar to BUFR and CREX WMO standard
(table code driven) and utility for import and export are included
(generic and ECMWF template).
* Representation is in 7 dimensions: latitude and longitude geographic
coordinates, table driven vertical coordinate, reference time,
table driven observation and forecast specification, table driven
* It allows to store extra information linked to the data, such as
confidence intervals for quality control.
* It allows to store extra information linked to the stations.
* Variables can be represented as real, integer and characters, with
appropriate precision for the type of measured value.
* It is based on physical principles, that is, the data it contains are
defined in terms of homogeneous and consistent physical data. For
example, it is impossible for two incompatible values to exist in the
same point in space and time.
* It can manage fixed stations and moving stations such as airplanes or
* It can manage both observational and forecast data.
* It can manage data along all three dimensions in space, such as data
from soundings and airplanes.
* Report information is preserved. It can work based on physical
parameters or on report types.
-- System Information:
Debian Release: testing/unstable
APT prefers unstable
APT policy: (500, 'unstable')
Architecture: i386 (i686)
Shell: /bin/sh linked to /bin/bash
Kernel: Linux 2.6.17-2-686
Locale: LANG=it_IT.UTF-8, LC_CTYPE=it_IT.UTF-8 (charmap=UTF-8)