Re: Top 20 unnecessary dependencies [was: Re: A plan to get rid of unnecessary package dependencies]

Le mardi 26 septembre 2006 à 09:36 -0700, Kevin B. McCarty a écrit :
> In case it's of interest to anyone, I went through the checklib logs
> available on the web page for "problems" and found the libraries that
> are most often listed as bogus dependencies.  Here are the top twenty
> offenders, listed with the number of packages that (according to
> checklib) have each as an unnecessary dependency:
[lots of X libraries]

For those interested in reducing such dependencies, the GNOME team is
using Mike Hommey's hack to strip indirect dependencies from .la files:

        for file in $(wildcard debian/$(cdbs_curpkg)/usr/lib/*.la); do \
                sed -i "/dependency_libs/ s/'.*'/''/" $$file ; \
                done

Currently this is mostly done for experimental GNOME 2.16 packages, but
it has dramatically cut off some dependencies. It also helps building a
path towards complete removal of .la files, which we hope to achieve for
GNOME packages in etch+1.