Re: Top 20 unnecessary dependencies [was: Re: A plan to get rid of unnecessary package dependencies]

Mikhail Gusarov wrote:
> You (kmccarty@Princeton.EDU) wrote:
>
>  KBM> Most of these are X-related, suggesting that quite a lot of .la
>  KBM> and .pc files are pretty indiscriminate about which X libs they
>  KBM> link in.
>
> Will this problem disappear if end programs will pass --as-needed flag
> to the ld command line?

I asked myself the very same question a few weeks ago, but someone said
that too much "black magic" is involved with this parameter -- whatever
this means.

The main problem seems to be, that relibtoolizing seems to be too
complicated and error prone so many developers just skip this part.

So I think we need an easy (automatic) solution in order to get rid of
this problem once and for all.

Cheers,

Bastian

--