Re: A plan to get rid of unnecessary package dependencies

Thomas Bushnell BSG <tb@becket.net> writes:
> Christian Aichinger <Greek0@gmx.net> writes:

>> A "problem" means that the package has useless dependencies on
>> library packages. This causes the kind of trouble outlined above and
>> should be fixed. A HOWTO is here:
>> http://rerun.lefant.net/checklib/howto-fix-problems.html

> Hey.  If we have a programmatic way of detecting this cases, why not
> just fold that into the shlibdeps program, and be done with it?

How could shlibdeps help?  The trouble with these dependencies is that,
when the library or binary is loaded, all of those NEEDED libraries will
also be loaded, even though they're not actually needed.  So the shared
library or binary *does* depend on those libraries, in that it won't run
unless they're present, despite the fact that it's not actually using any
symbols from them.