From: David Goodenough [mailto:david.goodenough@btconnect.com]
Sent: Mon 9/25/2006 9:36 AM
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Subject: Problem installing xserver-xorg

I am trying to install xorg on an HP 9010 laptop.  It was installed but the
hard drive died and so I took an old 2.5" drive I had which had linux on it
with XFree86 (and a SIS screen configured) and I am trying to upgrade it to
work on this new machine.  I got rid of the old XFree86 code (I think I got
rid of all of it) and then I asked it to install xorg.  When configuring
xserver-xorg it asks if the PCI address for the video card is right (it is),
asks if I want to use a FrameBuffer device (I have tried both yes and no)
and then is comes up with a panel which says:-

Configuring xserver-org

Empty value

A null entry is not permitted for this value.

This is repeated in what appears to be quite a tight look ad-infinitum
and it is quite difficult to break out of (but I did eventually).

There is nothing to say which value is null and I am at a loss to see
how to progress from here.

Anyone got any ideas?

David