Re: Compatibility between Debian amd64 and other distributions

On Sat, Sep 23, 2006 at 10:29:37AM +0200, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
> Daniel Jacobowitz <dan@debian.org> writes:
>
> > On Sat, Sep 23, 2006 at 02:50:35AM +0200, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
> >> But running Debian binaries on other distributions remains a
> >> problem. For example static binaries that use libnss* plugins will
> >> fail to find those plugins on other systems. Copying the debian libc6
> >> to your ~/lib/ dir on another distribution will break locale plugins.
> >
> > Do you have any less contrived examples?  FWIW, I think in either of
> > these cases you deserve to keep both pieces.
>
> How do you keep both pieces if you are not root?

That has nothing to do with it.  Copying libc.so.6 to something other
than its configured location breaks in plenty of other ways.  Static
binaries using nss are a long-standing and known source of problems,
and if you copy them to any other version of glibc - configured
differently or not - you're liable to crash.

--
Daniel Jacobowitz
CodeSourcery