Re: Why not only support Sid and Testing?

On Tuesday 12 September 2006 07:08, Joseph Smidt wrote:
> 	I know I am in for an argument, but I think it is a good
> question.  I'm sure many of you have read Mark's blog:
> http://www.markshuttleworth.com/archives/56.  It says 76% of Debian
> users run unstable and probably a fair fraction of the rest run testing.

The answer is in the same article: "Many people have asked why I decided to
build Ubuntu alongside, or on top of, Debian, rather than trying to get
Debian to turn into a peak in its own right. The reason is simple - I believe
that Debian’s breadth is too precious to compromise just because one person
with resources cares a lot about a few specific use cases. We should not
narrow the scope of Debian. The breadth of Debian, its diversity of packages
and architectures, together with the social equality of all DD’s, is its
greatest asset."

And Mr. Mark Shuttleworth is ultimately right about that track. The Debian
breadth is large, unique and versatile, and this includes the very
conservative Stable releases too, to let people have better things to do than
fixing/fighting a production system. OTOH it is really complex to drive such
a large beast and there is room to improve communication inside the project,
but it does worth the effort. Thus, there is no use to kill renown Debian
virtues, but try to fix deficiencies instead ;-).

fingerprint 1AE7 7C66 0A26 5BFF DF22 5D55 1C57 0C89 0E4B D0AB