Re: Upgrade problems for sysvinit 2.86.ds1-16 -> 2.86.ds1-18

Hi Petter,
On Fri, Sep 08, 2006 at 07:22:53PM +0200, Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:

> In version 2.86.ds1-16 of the sysv-rc package released 2006-09-06, the
> update-rc.d script was broken.  When used to to update symlinks it
> would remove all symlinks for a init.d script if such symlinks
> existed, and add them if they were missing.  This broke all packages
> being upgraded after the new version was installed, as their init.d
> scripts will no longer be executed.  This problem was fixed in version
> 2.86.ds1-18, but the broken packages will stay broken until their
> postinst scripts are executed again.
  ^^^^^^^^

> Those with packages being broken from this bug can fix it by using
> 'apt-get --reinstall install package' on the affected packages.  A
> quick way out is to reinstall all the packages with scripts in
> /etc/init.d/.
>
>   for p in `dpkg -S /etc/init.d/*|cut -d: -f1|sort -u`; do
>     apt-get --reinstall install -y $p
>   done
>
> I'm sorry for the problems I have caused.
>
> Friendly,
> --
As a test, on my working unstable system, I did this:
	I made a note of the current links for 'cron'
	ran 'rm /etc/rc*.d/*cron'
	ran '/etc/init.d/cron stop'
	ran 'bash /var/lib/dpkg/info/cron.postinst'
and found it to restore the default setup.
I thought that 'reinstall' seems very time consuming and thought that
there may be a diffent way to do it. Would this work for (most|all)?
cheers,
Kev