Re: potential mass bug filing: sysvinit dependency

On Tue, Sep 05, 2006 at 01:30:19PM +0200, Marco d'Itri wrote:

> This may be a good time to remind maintainers that often a versioned
> conflict may be more appropriate than a versioned dependency.

This seems natural to me, but the policy contains this discouraging
language:

 A Conflicts entry should almost never have an "earlier than" version
 clause. This would prevent dpkg from upgrading or installing the
 package which declared such a conflict until the upgrade or removal
 of the conflicted-with package had been completed.

I'm not exactly sure what is being said here. The second sentence
seems to be *exactly* the effect I would seek when doing a versioned
"earlier than" conflict. So I don't understand why the policy says one
should "almost never" have one.

--
Lionel