Re: Update: status of inetd

On Mon, Aug 28, 2006 at 12:58:27PM +0200, Marco d'Itri wrote:
> On Aug 28, Roger Leigh <rleigh@whinlatter.ukfsn.org> wrote:
>
> > 1) Split out update-inetd from netbase into a new "inetd" package.
> No, because e.g. xinetd needs a totally different update-inetd program.
> It's simpler if each inetd package will ship its own update-inetd.

If I understood correctly, all the update-inetd scripts have to provide
for each and every inetd superserver, or at least fill in a list of
calls to update-inetd. Why?

- Install openbsd-inetd
- Install inetd-using server A
- replace openbsd-inetd by xinetd
- server A was never registered by xinetd !

Instead, all packages should call a common update-inetd minus the last
line. This common part registers the arguments for the service under a
common format. Then it calls a inetd-specific script that parses those
informations, and puts those in the correct form (files in
/etc/xinetd.d/, big file in /etc/inetd.conf,...). In the postinst of
every inetd superserver, this specific script is also called. In the
prerm of the superserver, the inetd-specific files are deleted.

I do not see how one can do otherwise, unless every inetd superserver is
capable of migrating data from any other superserver.