Re: dh_python and python policy analysis

On Fri, Aug 25, 2006 at 10:22:10PM +0200, Josselin Mouette <joss@debian.org> wrote:
> Le vendredi 25 août 2006 à 13:01 +0200, Wouter Verhelst a écrit :
> > > I can't speak for others, but python-support provides
> > > pysupport-movemodules and pysupport-parseversions to separate the
> > > debhelper snippet from the actual abstraction code.
> >
> > That is still not what is required. Unless these tools become part of
> > the dpkg-dev package, it should be documented in policy how they (are
> > supposed to) do their job.
>
> If you want to stick a "policy" label on the python-support
> documentation, that's fine with me, but this is the least of my
> concerns. The important point is for this documentation to exist.
>
> Also, my concern is to make the developer's life easier. I don't think
> writing gazillions of policies will help the developer. We have first to
> provide tools that implement this policy, after which we have plenty of
> time to write up formal documents. The whole point of free software is
> to re-use other people's tools and code.

The problem with the python policy is that there is no policy as to
where the modules are supposed to be installed. Depending on the tool
you are using (python-support or python-central), the directory is
different. Where is someone using none of these supposed to put them ?

Mike