Re: Remove cdrtools

On 17-Aug-06, 23:33 (CDT), Peter Samuelson <peter@p12n.org> wrote:

> [Steve Greenland]
> > By "autoconf related problems" I mean things like it suddenly
> > deciding it's running a cross compiler, or that stdlib.h is
> > missing. A lot of this kind of stuff could be improved by simply
> > SHOWING ME THE FSCKING ERROR MESSAGES, rather than just checking the
> > return code and guessing.
>
> Too bad autoconf doesn't keep a log of everything configure does.[1]
>
>    [1] In case you missed it, it's called 'config.log'.

Amazingly enough, I knew about this.

>From an apache2 config.log, just 'cause it's the first one I found:

configure:2533: checking whether gcc accepts -g
configure:2565: checking how to run the C preprocessor
configure:2966: checking for rm
configure:3003: checking for mawk
configure:3044: checking for a BSD compatible install
configure:3097: checking whether ln -s works
configure:3126: checking for ranlib
configure:3192: checking for AIX
configure:3216: checking for POSIXized ISC
configure:3238: checking for minix/config.h
configure:3291: checking for ANSI C header files
configure:3409: checking for string.h
configure:3409: checking for limits.h
configure:3409: checking for unistd.h
configure:3409: checking for sys/socket.h
configure:3409: checking for pwd.h
configure:3409: checking for grp.h

No sign of what it actually did, no sign of whether the answer was
yes or no. Yes, there is some stuff in there. But not always enough.
Sometimes it spits out what the compile command was, and the code used,
and sometimes it doesn't.

Hmmm, why is it checking for "string.h" and "limits.h" after it has
already checked for "ANSI C header files"?

Well, this has devolved into a "Yes it is"/"No it isn't" kind of
argument, and maybe that's all it can be: I don't like the autotools,
because of my particular experiences with them, and others do, because
of their particular experiences.

Steve

--
Steve Greenland