Re: VMware packaging

On Sun, Aug 13, 2006 at 02:25:59AM +0200, Pierre Habouzit wrote:
> Le dim 13 août 2006 02:06, Peter Collingbourne a écrit :
> > Dear all,
> >
> > I found there were no VMware-related packages in the official
> > repository, nor any way of creating them.  Thus I propose to create
> > a tool that will build (for example for VMware Server) vmware-server
> > and vmware-modules-source packages based on an installation tarball
> > (a la java-package).
>
> why would we need it when there is already quite plenty of good free
> alternatives (qemu, bochs e.g.) ?

Because the performance of qemu is quite bad without the non-free
accelerator module and bochs is generally very slow and targeted at
hobbyists.  I'm not trying to say anything bad about them, just that
their target markets are generally different than the target market of
VMWare.

Regards,

-Roberto

--