Re: Is inability to operate with root read-only (and separate /etc, /dev, etc) a bug or design decision?

[Goswin von Brederlow]
> Instead move the things in etc that need writing to other places:
>
> 1) link /etc/mtab to /proc/mounts and create a dummy /proc/mounts on /
>    for when /proc isn't mounted (works with quota in current kernels).

Does the wrong thing with (a) user and (b) loop mounts.  [I just tested
2.6.16-1-k7.]  /etc/mtab needs to keep enough state for umount to know
(a) who mounted something, so the same user can unmount it, and (b)
that a loop device was set up automatically via 'mount -o loop', rather
than done separately, so that umount can 'losetup -d /dev/loopN'.  This
is information which cannot, at present, be put in /proc/mounts.

> 2) Link /etc/resolv.conf to /var or install resolvconf package.
> 3) Link /etc/network/run to /dev/shm/

Wait, didn't /run get created at some point?  Did that get reverted,
and if so, why?