Re: Centralized darcs

On Thu, Aug 03, 2006 at 02:08:00AM +0300, George Danchev wrote:
> On Thursday 03 August 2006 00:45, Matthew Palmer wrote:

> > > This is fine, but (again) you forget about your 'apt-get source' users,
> > > which are not supposed to be aware of your SCM, where your repo is,
>
> please, find 'SCM' in the above row, thanks.

I did.  Using an SCM and shipping a monolithic diff.gz makes it *easier* for
the 'apt-get source' user to work with the package, because there isn't a
randomly-chosen "debian patch manager" in the way to confuse and confound.

> > source and why they have been applied."
> >
> > Which is it?  Clearly identified patches, or "not supposed to be aware"?
>
> Obviously 'SCM' is what you missed above, which led you to such a confusion.
> Yes, people might be able to apt-get source and have patches which are to be
> (un)applied to the upstream source clearly identified without having to
> bother with any SCM to do the _patching_ work. (SCM == VCS)

They don't have to know anything about the SCM to manipulate a monolithic
diff.gz package.  This is in contrast to a "patch-managed" package, where
you *MUST* learn the patch management system to make a minimal, useful NMU
patch.

> > > I.e. if you have patches, do them debian way (using a debian patch
> > > system)
> >
> > Please identify "the debian way", so I may start using it.
> >
> > Oh wait.  There isn't any single Debian way.  Never has been, almost
> > certainly never will be.
>
> There is no signle SCM you can do packaging either.

No, there isn't, but the difference is that the SCM doesn't get in your way.

- Matt