Re: Building in chroots hides bugs?

    Martijn> The only example I can think of is programs that use
    Martijn> configure to include support for anything they can find
    Martijn> installed. So you get different results depending on
    Martijn> what's installed in the buildd. It's a bug in the
    Martijn> packaging though, the maintainer should be doing
    Martijn> --enable-* or --disable-* for every option. The point
    Martijn> being that if you only build in a clean chroot you'll
    Martijn> never notice the problem.

In my experience these bugs generally occur when a user installs a
library that I have never used/heard of before - as such I generally
miss them regardless of the build environment. Even if I did happen to
have that library accidently installed for the build - I probably
wouldn't notice that there is a minor (perhaps obsolete) feature
enabled with no corresponding build-depends.
--
Brian May <bam@debian.org>