Re: Successful and unsuccessful Debian development tools

Eduard Bloch <edi@gmx.de> wrote:

> #include <hallo.h>
> * Marco d'Itri [Tue, Aug 01 2006, 09:53:21AM]:
>> On Aug 01, David Nusinow <david_nusinow@verizon.net> wrote:
>>
>> > Also, pbuilder and debootstrap are considered absolutely critical for
>> > serious work.
>> That's a bold statement.
>
> Are you serious? (SCNR ;-)
>
> No, debootstrap is an important toy but but pbuilder is hyped too much.

I think maintainers should really build and test their packages in clean
sid chroots.  It's not important Whether these are set up with
debootstrap or any other method, and whether the handling is done with
pbuilder, manually or with other tools.  But it should be done, and
since these are the only tools for the purpose I know of, and people
don't like to do all by hand, I think they are in fact very important.

Regards, Frank
--
Frank Küster
Debian Developer (teTeX/TeXLive)