Re: How to fix a disk problem/damaged file?

This one time, at band camp, Atsuhito Kohda said:
> Hi all,
>
> I recently noticed that /usr/lib/perl5/XML/Parser on my
> Debian/Stable (UltraSparc) seemed to be damaged.
>
> ~$ ls /usr/lib/perl5/XML/Parser
> ls: /usr/lib/perl5/XML/Parser: Input/output error
>
> And I failed to reinstall libxml-parser-perl_2.34-4_sparc.deb
> with the same reason.
>
> How can I fix this problem safely?
>
> I have expanded libxml-parser-perl_2.34-4_sparc.deb in a working
> directory and got clean usr/lib/perl5/XML/Parser directory.
>
> Is it possible and safe to
> mv /usr/lib/perl5/XML /usr/lib/perl5/NA (or something)
> and
> cp -a ~/work/usr/lib/perl5/XML /usr/lib/perl5/ ?
>
> This machine is not i386 so I can't use Knoppix ...
>
> Will this cause boot failure when fsck'ing ?
> Thanks inadvance.

First, I suggest this query is better for debian-user@lists.debian.org,
since it is not related to general development issues.

Second, an I/O error trying to ls a file usually points to severe disk
or file system corruption.  Make sure your backups are in good shape,
and good luck.