Re: Build failure with autoconf 2.60: "requires autoconf 2.53 or newer"

(Dropped debian-qt-kde, added pkg-kde-talk.)

* Martin Michlmayr [Tue, 25 Jul 2006 19:40:40 +0200]:

> Half of KDE and a number of other applications currently fail to build
> with a message similar to:

> | *** YOU'RE USING autoconf (GNU Autoconf) 2.60.
> | *** KDE requires autoconf 2.53 or newer

> Before I file bugs on these packages, I wanted to check whether this
> is a known problem and/or whether the new autoconf reports its version
> in an incompatible way (that could be changed to avoid these build
> failures).

Executive summary: please do file bugs, upstream sources use a
suboptimal way of checking for autotools versions, that makes them need
an update for each new major version. An URL for a patch that should
apply to all of the KDE ones can be found here [1].

If you could usertag the bugs them, that'd be nice (e.g. tag
autoconf260-ftbfs, user debian-release@lists.d.o).

I'll also note that only packages that are configured to re-run the
autotools at build time suffer this problem.

To pkg-debian-talk: maybe packaging kde-common-admin and checking the
viability of having packages that run Makefile.cvs at build time to
build-depend on it could be a way to prevent this from happening again.

  [1] http://websvn.kde.org/branches/KDE/3.5/kde-common/admin/cvs.sh?rev=555946&r1=543983&r2=555946

Thanks,

Adeodato Simó                                     dato at net.com.org.es
Debian Developer                                  adeodato at debian.org

                      Listening to: Mastretta - Última vuelta en Monmeló