Configuration file shadowed?

Hi,

        Today, when upgrading my unstable box, I got a debconf message
 from the package tex-common, to wit:
        “The mechanism of TeX font caching has changed, requiring the
         installation of /usr/share/texmf/web2c/mktex.cnf.  On your
         system, /etc/texmf/web2c/mktex.cnf exists with possible local
         changes, and makes the new file invisible to TeX.  Font
         caching might not work until the setting of MT_FEATURES has
         been transferred to your configuration file.”

        What does this imply? Why are configuration files (I am
 assuming that something called mktex.cnf is actually a configuration
 file) being installed in /usr/share/? What exactly is the usewr
 supposed to do, anyway? If nothing, why is there a debconf notice?

        manoj
--
The girl who swears no one has ever made love to her has a right to
swear. Sophia Loren