Re: Bits from the Package Tracking System

On Mon, 17 Jul 2006, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:
> Is an archive of those mails available somewhere? This way the "small
> patches" will be available even for packages of people not subscribed to
> the PTS. Or for people who subscribe after some version has been
> uploaded to ubuntu.

There's only the mailing list archive on the Ubuntu side for now.

I agree that the PTS should have a web archive for all the content that is
generated mainly for it and that is not simply relayed via it (like the
BTS mails).

Nobody has implemented that yet though, and it will also be quite
expensive on disk size... (it shouldn't be a big worry however given the
disk size that recent Debian servers tend to have)

> A dumb way to implement that is of course set up a mail account
> subscribed to all packages with the derivative keyword. I can set up
> such an account, but I guess there exists an easier solution for setting
> up the archive on the PTS side. Could you comment on that?

Please don't go to the "quick & dirty" route. With the scale of the PTS
you would simply create unnecessary load for the mail processing that
master.debian.org really doesn't need.

The PTS scripts receive the mail directly, they can be patched to store a
copy for the web frontend. Someone just needs to do it prperly... (cf my
call for help at the of the announce ;-)).

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog