Re: Long blurbs repeated in many package descriptions considered harmful

On Sat, Jul 08, 2006 at 01:52:57PM +0300, Lars Wirzenius wrote:
> la, 2006-07-08 kello 12:40 +0200, Enrico Zini kirjoitti:
> > some groups of packages in Debian share introductory pieces in the
> > package description.  For example, most pike packages have this:
> I tend to like them, if they're concise and at the end of the
> description. They save me from having to look up the main package for a
> description of what it is all about.

I think it is essential to provide information about acronyms and other
high-tech names, however they should be essential and they shouldn't
distort search results mentioning things that are not present in the
package.  When the pike module for pcap says what is pike, it's ok.  But
when it mentions image manipulation, database connectivity and XML
parsers, then it's strongly misleading.

For example, the pike blurb could be summarised with something like:

  Pike is an interpreted, object-oriented, dynamic programming language
  with a syntax similar to C.  To learn more about pike, see the package
  pike7.6 or visit http://pike.ida.liu.se/

Ciao,

Enrico