Re: Dropping indirect dependencies from libgnutls-config --libs

"Martijn van Oosterhout" <kleptog@gmail.com> writes:
> There's two seperate issues here. Firstly, using pkg-config to find
> libraries. Autoconf solves this nicely already. Maybe in the future
> autoconf can use pkg-config, but pkg-config is not widespread enough
> to really do that yet. No dependancy here.

Autoconf can handle the simple case easily, but there seem to be times
where it doesn't work so well -- in particular, include file locations,
and additional library dependencies.

Writing autoconf support for these without using pkg-config basically
ends up the embedding the package-specific info (which would be in the
.pc file) into each autoconf script that uses the library.

For instance, for OpenEXR, "pkg-config --cflags OpenEXR" yields:

   -I/usr/include/OpenEXR

[Ok, I guess your autoconf script could guess that without being too ugly.]

and "pkg-config --libs OpenEXR" yields:

   -lIlmImf -lImath -lHalf -lIex -lz

[Yuck... even when using shared libraries, library dependencies don't
seem to give -lImath, I'm not sure why (maybe it's only used by inline
functions in the headers?)...]

-Miles

--
Ich bin ein Virus. Mach' mit und kopiere mich in Deine .signature.