Re: Netatalk and SSL

* Hendrik Sattler

| Am Mittwoch, 21. Juni 2006 00:56 schrieb Tollef Fog Heen:
| > Is this allowed?  If not, why not?  Would it be allowed if the package
| > stanza for libfoo read:
| >
| > Package: libfoo
| > Depends: libbar-ssl | libbar, libc6
|
| Is this actually supported by the linker?

Imagine the trivial case of libbar providing a get_http function which
does a GET request on an HTTP url.  If you link with openssl it
supports HTTPS and HTTP, if not it just supports HTTP.

The Depends field would be filled by libbar-dev's shlibs and since
it's such a simple package and the ABI is the same, listing libbar |
libbar-ssl makes sense.

As I wrote in another mail, libbar and libbar-ssl would have to have
the same soname and conflict.

| If yes, why do we care about transitive libraries technics like .la
| files or pkg-config?  I guess that libbar-ssl would have to dlopen
| the ssl library to achieve this.

Mostly histerical reasons and both libtool and pkg-config should be
fixed to not link transitively (on Linux, at least).  pkg-config has
some of the fixes in, but it needs some more fixes which I haven't had
the time to push in yet.

                                                                      `. `'
                                                                        `-