Re: GCC 4.1 now the default GCC version for etch

In article <[🔎] 20060616143926.C27570@bolthole.com> pbrown@debian.org writes:

>there appears to currently be a sparc release of debian,

(not currently a release candidate for etch)

>and it appears to claim to support some kind of limited 64bit support.

>There are some unstated things from the page that I would like to bring to
>the table as relevant:
>1. since it is sparc, I would presume debian/sparc is "big endian"

>2. since the amd64 arch now has 64bit applications (?) I would guess that
>   at some point, the debian sparc folks may follow suit.

It does support 64-bit applications.  However, in almost all cases
compiling for 64-bit just makes the application slower.  Don't expect
all 64-bit mode support for sparc.

(amd64 is only faster in 64-bit mode because of all the poorly
designed x86 32-bit instruction set.)
Blars Blarson			blarson@blars.org
With Microsoft, failure is not an option.  It is a standard feature.