Re: Non-DD's in debian-legal

On Tue, Jun 13, 2006 at 03:11:42PM -0700, Adam McKenna wrote:
> If people who aren't members are raising valid concerns that need to be
> addressed before development can proceed, we shouldn't reject that input on
> the basis of membership and call it "blocking development".

Right. But it's also possible to raise a variety of invalid concerns
in ways that require responses -- eg by saying "Debian's policy in this
matter is _____" when it's not; in that case not responding can mislead
people who aren't intimately familiar with Debian's actual policy on
the matter, which is harmful.

> Both DD's and non-DD's troll, create flamewars, and otherwise cause issues
> that block development.  Putting it in terms of DD's versus non-DD's is just
> prejudice and elitism at its worst.

It's Debian developers that are expected to collectively determine what
issues are valid, what our policies actually are, and what development
is harmful enough that it should be blocked. Non-developers are welcome
to comment on that, but their comments are only influential in so far
as they persuade developers.

Cheers,
aj