Re: CDBS and dh_install

* Jean Parpaillon [Fri, 09 Jun 2006 11:18:07 +0200]:

> Why do the default behaviour of dh_install is not to get files in
> 'debian/tmp' ?

That was the default behavior for the old dh_movefiles, which got
deprecated in debhelper 4 in favour of dh_install (see the changelog for
4.0.0 for details).

AIUI, one of the design decisions in dh_install was that its file lists
would be relative to the top level dir, which makes sense if you take
into account that all debhelper commands run from the top level dir.

The --sourcedir option was introduced in 4.0.4 to ease the migration
from the list of files for dh_movefiles to that of dh_install.

> And am I right with my solutions ?

Yes.

* Jean Parpaillon [Fri, 09 Jun 2006 13:44:59 +0200]:

> But the real question is : why it is not the default behaviour ? Is it a
> bug in CDBS or a feature ;-)

See above. CDBS defaults to debhelper's defaults, which is sane. If you care
about numbers, you'll see that CDBS's default would just fit the majority of
packages that use dh_install.

  @gluck:/org/lintian.debian.org/laboratory/source
  % grep -e --sourcedir=debian/tmp -l **/rules | wc -l
  509

  @gluck:/org/lintian.debian.org/laboratory/source
  % grep dh_install -l **/rules | xargs grep -e --sourcedir=debian/tmp -L | wc -l
  8374

Cheers,

Adeodato Simó                                     dato at net.com.org.es
Debian Developer                                  adeodato at debian.org

                         Listening to: Rosa León - El día que me quieras