Re: One can not guess if somebody is willing to accept private mails or not...

Charles Plessy <charles-debian-nospam@plessy.org> wrote:

> In the early 2006, I complained privately about the sarcastic tone of
> one of the answers he made to me on -devel, and I guess that I hurted
> him more strongly than if I had done this publicly, because I received
> insults on his blog in return.

I said "Drop him a private email discussing your concerns", not
"Misinterpret what Anthony said, decide that an off-hand comment is an
insult and then bitch at him via private email". There's a fairly
important difference there.

For what it's worth, I'm not keen on the way Anthony dealt with your
email. On the other hand, nor do I think your initial email to him was
in any way appropriate. However, I don't see him joining threads purely
in order to everyone that disagreeing with you may result in personal
attacks via private email. And nor do I see him publically attacking
people and then asking for any responses to be private.

My response to Bill was purely based on the fact that he has criticised
Anthony several times during the past couple of weeks, but that no
useful discussion has arisen from this. Private email seems like a
somewhat better mechanism for discussing this sort of thing than public
email - there's less risk of it escalating. Do you have any reason to
believe that Anthony would feel any desire to repost private mail that
made reasonable arguments, rather than, say, accusing him of ad-hominem
attacks for no obvious reason whatsoever[1]? If not, why did you post
it?

[1] As a hint for answering this question, consider the amount of
private mail received by Anthony. Consider the amount of it that has
been published on his blog.

--
Matthew Garrett | mjg59-chiark.mail.debian.devel@srcf.ucam.org