Re: Hidden files

On Tue, Jun 06, 2006 at 11:47:10AM +0200, Klaus Ethgen <Klaus@Ethgen.de> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> more and more packages use hidden files in /usr. I see this as an error.
> But before making a bug report for such packages I wish to ask if this
> is intended or really a bug? Some of the files are in the package some
> are created in postinst and not registered to any package. I see ANY
> hidden file in /usr as a bug which should be fixed!
>
> Packages are:
> - firefox
> - libnss3-0d or libxul0d (/usr/lib/xulrunner/.autoreg)

I can speak for these two. This is not a bug but an intended feature. It
helps component registration on upgrade. The file could be renamed, but
that means modifying mozilla's code. Not that we don't already modify
it, but if we can avoid to make too many changes, it's still better.

Could you tell us what kind of harm can do a "hidden" empty file in /usr ?

Mike