Re: Non-DD's in debian-legal

On Tue, Jun 06, 2006 at 01:33:46AM -0400, Travis Crump wrote:
> David Nusinow wrote:
> > On Mon, Jun 05, 2006 at 08:04:56PM -0400, Jeremy Hankins wrote:
> >> I'm afraid I don't understand the fear here.  What would it mean for d-l
> >> to become gnome.alioth.debian.org in your example?
> >
> > Non-developers, no matter how much they love Free Software and Debian,
> > don't get to decide on the policies for the Debian project. They have a
> > say, but they don't get to make a decision, or make any claims on behalf of
> > the project. This applies to debian-legal contributors as well.
> >
> >  - David Nusinow
> >

> One would think that even developers that haven't been elected/appointed
> to certain positions don't get to do these things.

Well, no, that's not actually true. Debian developers get a say in
whatever they're responsible for. Whether that whatever is a bunch of
packages on which they're listed as Maintainer, or a port they've been
maintaining for a few years, or a programming language for which they
maintain an extraordinary amount of packages and have been helping out
in shaping a policy for, or some appointed position (as in this case)
really isn't all that important.

If somebody not involved with the m68k port comes and tells me that some
decision I made for m68k is all wrong and that I should've done this or
that instead, I'll have a good laugh. And go on with doing whatever I
was doing.

Which, I think, is what the ftp-masters should do to this thread.

--
Fun will now commence