Re: use of "invoke-rc.d $PACKAGE stop || exit $?" in prerm scripts

* Ian Jackson:

> Florian Weimer writes ("Re: use of "invoke-rc.d $PACKAGE stop || exit $?" in prerm scripts"):
>> Ian Jackson:
>> > If the old package's prerm fails, dpkg tries the version from the new
>> > package instead, precisely to avoid this problem.  See the policy
>> > manual for details.
>>
>> And this doesn't help at allif the error is in the init script.  BTST.
>
> It means that the new package can detect the problem and fix it up.
> Eg, it can stop the daemon manually and not mind that the rc script
> fails.

Hmm.  This means that the solution mentioned in subject line is not
too far off until all our users have upgraded to package versions
containing a fixed init script.  Especially if the daemon in question
can't do much harm when it's running through an upgrade or after
deinstallation.