Re: Making init scripts use dash

On Sat, May 20, 2006 at 01:58:14AM +0200, Adam Borowski wrote:

> The interesting fact is that, contrary to what I expected, running
> "configure" was improved by only about 1% on average.

That may come from the fact that "configure" uses only the most basic
shell constructs (it does not even use functions). Also, depending on
the actual tests, 1/4-1/3 of "configure"'s run time is spent in the
waitpid() system call, independent of the shell.

> Thus, it's bash's start-up which is the slow part, in the terms of
> actual speed, bash is not that far behind.

It would be interesting to compare something more complex than "configure"
scripts. "configure" scripts are huge but primitive.

Gabor

                Hungarian Academy of Sciences