Re: RFC: Better portability for package maintainers

Le samedi 20 mai 2006 à 08:07 -0700, Erast Benson a écrit :
> > Please wake up. Debian is a GNU system and needs a GNU environment. I
> > doubt that more than half of the archive can build without the GNU libc.
> > This is the reason why the FreeBSD port started by porting the glibc.
>
> Let me just give you an freebsd example:
>
> """The FreeBSD Ports and Packages Collection offers a simple way for
> users and administrators to install applications. There are currently
> 14682 ports available."""
>
> 14000+ (source ports) is quite a number and far bigger than the half of
> Debian APT repo.

I'm talking about porting the Debian packages as they are.

> Flink is a good Darwin example and actively growing too.

If you compare the time Fink needed to attain 158 hundred packages and
the time kFreeBSD needed to build 78% of the Debian archive, you will
understand that without the GNU libc the amount of work is not even
comparable.

> Nexenta is a good candidate of OpenSolaris ports. Besides it uses GNU
> userland (instead of SUN userland), this simplifies porting efforts too.

AFAIK Nexenta doesn't use the GNU libc, which is the basis of what is
called a GNU userland.

On a totally different matter, if the non-free packages required to run
OpenSolaris are still part of your base installation, I doubt that many
developers will be interested in helping you developing on your OS.
(This, added to the disagreement with Sun on the GPLv2 interpretation.)