Re: RFC: Better portability for package maintainers

Matt Zimmerman wrote:
On Fri, May 19, 2006 at 01:15:44PM -0700, Alex Ross wrote:
Matt Zimmerman wrote:
On Fri, May 19, 2006 at 10:34:35AM -0700, Alex Ross wrote:
The following is based on premises that portability is good and that
POSIX is a standard. A proposal.
I didn't see a concrete proposal in your email, only information about
where to find gnusolaris build logs.  Can you elaborate?

Minimally, package maintainers and developers could take a look on our logs
and see if there's anything wrong. If there is, in many cases the fix is obvious.

Because Debian and Ubuntu developers may not have access to a similar build
environment, it will be difficult for them to help you in this way.  Even if
the first error is fixed, they will need to wait for you to build the
package again to see if it builds.  I expect that most maintainers won't be
interested in working this way.

Ditto.

It makes more sense for the Nexenta
community to fix these problems and make the patches available to other
distributions and upstream.  If your intention is to invite the Debian and
Ubuntu developer communities to participate in this way, perhaps a good step
would be to offer them access to a porting machine where they can help you
with this work if they are interested?

ssh?.. We'll work on it, let you know.

Ideally though, there'd be an augmented policy of package acceptance,
reflecting the fact that the packages with "Architecture: any" should build
and run on one of the Debian POSIX-compliant systems. NexentaOS is
certainly one such system. To help implement this new policy we could "plug"
our AutoBuilder [1] into the existing build environment.

If we find that it is feasible to get the current packages in Debian
to meet this standard, then we can consider extending policy to recommend or
mandate it at some point in the future, but to do this before attempting the
experiment would be premature.