Re: Making init scripts use dash

On May 18, Margarita Manterola <margamanterola@gmail.com> wrote:

> To make this speed up available to everyone, we have 2 main choices:
>
> 1. Make /bin/sh point to /bin/dash
> 2. Change #!/bin/sh for #!/bin/dash in the scripts

We have an even simpler choice which already works and does not require
changes in any package: interested people can divert the /bin/sh symlink
to bash and create a new symlink to dash.
This is even documented in /usr/share/doc/bash/README.Debian.gz .
Alternatives are not a good idea because if they break (and they do,
often) for /bin/sh then everything will break, badly.

Making dash the default /bin/sh would probably break too many non-debian
packages and changing all init scripts to use dash would mean adding a
new dependency for no good reason.

This is a non-problem.

--
ciao,