Re: Section of -dev packages

Goswin von Brederlow wrote:

> Christoph Berg <myon@debian.org> writes:
>
>> Re: Kevin B. McCarty 2006-05-17 <[🔎] 446BA33F.2070004@princeton.edu>
>>> In case anyone is interested in filing mass bug reports (I am not
>>> sufficiently interested, sorry), here are the -dev packages in
>>> unexpected sections, obtained as follows:
>>
>> Isn't that more a matter of updating the override files?
>>
>> Christoph
>
> Sources say what section gets put into the deb.
> Overrides say what section gets put into the Packages files.
>
> Both have to change. Mismatches result in a nag mail when uploading a
> package and shows up on packages.qa.d.o.

I don't really understand the reason for this redundancy.  Maybe back in
the "good old days" when the archive really was organized by package
sections, it had its uses.  Nowadays it just seems like a pain in the
neck for maintainers who want to update the sections of their packages
(most commonly, I would imagine, to "oldlibs") as well as a hassle for
the people with the power to update the overrides (the FTP-masters, I
guess).

Could the archive infrastructure be updated to synch the override file
with what's in the .debs automatically?

regards,