Re: multiarch status update

> But say you have the old i486 ls installed in /bin/ls and now you
> install the new amd64 ls in /bin/ls/x86_64.
>
> Wait a second. How do you create the dir when the file already exists?
> dpkg has to specialy handle this case for every package.

That's probably a bit of a problem. But that doesn't detract from the
usefulness of being able to have multiple binaries with the same path
IMO.

> >> Also what architecture should be called on x86_64 if both are there?
> >> i486 or amd64? Should that be configurable?
> >>

> > What do you mean here ?
>
> Say I have /usr/bin/firefox/i486 and /usr/bin/firefox/x86_64. Which
> one should be the default? Where/how do I set the default?

The default would then be x86_64. I don't remember if AIX had a per
process setting to change this.

> I never use flash so I want the x86_64 default. But userB always uses
> flash and wants i486. How do you set that up per user?

You could use something like prctl for this. Note that current multiarch
doesn't solve this problem either.

> But /bin/sh then is a directory containing i486 and x86_64. Or just
> one of them. Or cotaining mips, mipsn32, mips64, mipsel, mipsn32el,
> mips64el, mips-abi32, mips-abi64, mips-abi32el, mips-abi64el.

So ? There is no difference between executing /bin/sh directly and
having it done as an interpreter for a script.

L & L

p2.

--
goa is a state of mind