Re: renewing broken debconf database?

On Mon, 2006-05-15 at 10:46 -0500, Joey Hess wrote:
> Drew Parsons wrote:
> > Thanks for the tip.
> >
> > It didn't help, however. The "debconf/entry doesn't exist" problems are
> > still there afterwards.  Were there any extra parameters I ought to
> > supply to fix_db.pl?
> >
> > What did help was to manually delete all entries for a given package
> > from /var/cache/debconf/config.dat and templates.dat.  After doing that
> > the package (e.g. xserver-xorg) installed normally with the full set of
> > debconf questions getting rewritten to those files. I'd rather not have
> > to do that separately for each of the two dozen affected packages, or to
> > delete those debconf files completely, if I don't have to!
>
> It's hard to tell what the problem is without an actual error message.

Well the error messages are the ones I gave in my first email, e.g. from
xprint-common,

	debconf (developer): <-- SET xprint-common/default_printer_resolution
600
	debconf (developer): --> 10 xprint-common/default_printer_resolution
doesn't exist

Did you mean other error messages than that?

> If it's literally complaining about debconf/* items, you might need to
> reinstall debconf.

No, that was just shorthand for things like
xprint-common/default_printer_resolution. But the first thing I did try
was to reinstall debconf.

For the record, /var/cache/debconf/config.dat does contain
	Name: xprint-common
	Template: xprint-common/default_printer_resolution
	Owners: xprint-common

and /var/cache/debconf/templates.dat has

	Name: xprint-common/default_printer_resolution
	Default: 600
	Extended_description: .....
	Type: string
	Owners: xprint-common

so I'm not sure what it means by
"xprint-common/default_printer_resolution doesn't exist".
Is it the Value: field?

(other examples from other packages are similar)

Drew