Re: Use pbuilder, Luke... (Was: cleaning up lib*-dev packages?)

On Sun, May 14, 2006 at 11:47:41AM +0200, Wouter Verhelst wrote:
> On Sun, May 14, 2006 at 10:00:25AM +0200, Ondrej Sury wrote:
> > Right solution is to use pbuilder, which will:
> >
> > a) always ensure that package can be built using unstable
> > b) keep your build environment clean
> > c) keep your local system clean
> d) take much longer to build your package; the exact factor depends on
>    the size of the package, but a factor 3 isn't too uncommon for
>    smaller packages, which isn't very interesting in cases where you
>    need to do a lot of work on a given package.

Without wishing to join the mob,

e) it's difficult to install versions of packages not available from
your regular sources.list. For example if you build a new (version of a)
library package and then an application that uses it and want to upload
both at the same time. You probably need to set up a local apt
repository, which is a pain.

I use pbuilder to verify my build-depends where possible but tend to
upload the package built in my regular environment.

Hamish