Re: Intent to hijack Bacula

On Thu, May 11, 2006 at 09:30:40PM +0200, Roberto Lumbreras wrote:
> He has packaged the last version of bacula, and it is not uploaded
> because it's not ready, then a new version was showed up... he has a
> personal apt repository that users from bacula mailing list uses, and
> packages (not yet finished) in sourceforge... so is it clear for you
> that he is not going to work on it again? not for me, I think he was
> working, then the John started to do NMUs, and refusing to be
> co-maintainer with Jose Luis. After John has refused to do that, then
> Jose Luis has done the same. I think it's a kids game :-(

John has managed to not only update to the latest upstream version in his
upload, but he's also managed to fix 24 bugs by my count. It is notable
that he has managed to achieve so much while Jose struggled just to update
to the new version.

Since John has said he's open to having an alioth group maintain bacula,
with Jose on the team, I hope Jose chooses to actively work with everyone
to get the help, and apparently training, that he needs to manage something
this complicated. I got tons of help from people both in and out of Debian
while working on Xorg, and I still get it almost daily. There's no shame in
doing so, and Jose should take advantage of it to become a stronger
maintainer.

 - David Nusinow