Re: PDF files and dh_compress

> I am strongly against compressing PDFs

To add insult to injury, PDF 1.5 introduces ``object streams'' which
allow compressing arbitrarily long chunks of a PDF file without giving
up the random-access properties of PDF.  All current Free PDF readers
grok PDF 1.5, although as far as I know no Free software can produce
PDF 1.5 object streams.

Hence the right solution is to fix gs and pdftex to produce object
streams, not to work around the limitations of current Free software
by gzipping PDF files and thus giving up the (quite amazing) efficiency
of the format.

                                        Juliusz