Re: PDF files and dh_compress

On 5/10/06, Yaroslav Halchenko <debian@onerussian.com> wrote:
> What about improving transparent decompression somehow?
well... unification via mailcap is nice, but as I mentioned before it
would be trickier to make it work from firefox (it assumes all .gz files

Good solutions aren't always trivial. :)

to be gzip archives right of the box), and would require each
application tuning to make it handle pdf.gz, or may be pdf.bz2...

Ideally those applications shouldn't have to know about specific
encoding schemes but should be able to offload decoding to a library.

besides that such unification would forbid my own choice... now

Why would that be?

for quick viewing I prefer to use xpdf, for some long read I would like
to use acroread...

Sure we could create some wrapper to make it work like
zview acroread *.pdf.gz

but I am not sure if it is really worth it.

As I have shown, uncompressed PDFs of the whole sid would sacrifice just
150M of space which is miniscular... and on old boxes

It still sounds like very wasted space.