Re: multiarch status update

On 5/10/06, Olaf van der Spek <olafvdspek@gmail.com> wrote:
On 5/10/06, Matt Taggart <taggart@debian.org> wrote:
> > Does it also allow multiple versions of the same package to be
> > installed at the same time?
> > For example, multiple minor versions or multiple major versions?
>
> Read the papers listed in the wiki. The short answer is no, same as it is
> today with single-arch. As explained in the papers, trying to do anything else
> results in a complex dependency nightmare.

That's a shame, as I think a lot of the infrastructure required for
multiple architectures overlaps with that required for multiple
versions.

You've been able to install multiple versions of the same package for
a long time, just we give each package a new name. Libraries are the
obvious example but you can install multiple versions of postgresql
simultaneously. It's not rocket science, just most people don't
consider it worth the effort.

In any case, I don't think any of this is going to handle multiple
architechtures simultaneously magically. It's more like each arch get
given a namespace and everything is carefully designed to stop the
namespaces conflicting. TANSTAAFL.
--
Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog@gmail.com> http://svana.org/kleptog/