Re: Getting rid of circular dependencies, stage 4

On Wed, May 10, 2006 at 10:40:32PM +1000, Brendan O'Dea wrote:
> On Tue, May 09, 2006 at 10:49:36PM +0200, Bill Allombert wrote:
> >Here the lists of packages involved in circular dependencies listed by
> >maintainers.
> >
> >	perl
> >	perl-modules
>
> These two packages are meant to be installed together, split only for
> arch any/all.
>
> I'm a bit puzzled as to why this is a problem, since this particular
> dependency exists in sarge and as far as I no caused no upgrade issues.

what about the issue showing up in conjunction with doc-base? both perl and
perl-modules were installed, but not in matching versions (due to apt being
confused about the circular dep) during the upgrade
from 5.6 to 5.8, which made packages calling install-docs in their
maintainer scripts fail, if I remember correctly...

> Note that the dependency expressed is not exactly circular, since the
> perl-modules dependency on perl is "looser" than the inverse.  Don't
> know if this matters for the problem you're trying to fix.

it is not "looser" if you look at it from the perspective of a sarge->etch
update...

--
c u
henning