Re: patching a package?

On Mon, May 08, 2006 at 11:32:38PM -0500, Jason D. Clinton wrote:

> Sorry, I'm new to the dpkg system. I looking around on the web site
> and couldn't seem to find good docs on this specific
> issue. Appologies if I missed it.

> I want to take a Debian source package and make a few changes to do
> it and then recompres it and test it. If it works I want to generate
> a patch which I can send to the maintainer. What would be the best
> way to do this?

apt-get source ${PACKAGE}
cp -R ${PACKAGE}-${VERSION} ${PACKAGE}-${VERSION}.pristine-deb
cd ${PACKAGE}-${VERSION}
# hack away
cd ..
diff --recursive -u ${PACKAGE}-${VERSION}.pristine-deb ${PACKAGE}-${VERSION} > descriptive_name.patch
#(add -N option to diff if appropriate)
#send descriptive_name.patch to the maintainer, probably through a bug
#report.

--
Lionel