Re: Compiling packages for the standard distribution with -Os instead of -O2

On 5/3/06, Rogério Brito <rbrito@ime.usp.br> wrote:
Just to see the effects of compiling programs with -Os, I tried to get
the sources for firefox 1.5 from testing (which is what I use by
default) and compiled it with -Os, instead of -O2. The program was much
more responsive, with less use of swap (sorry, I don't have numbers
right now) and the installed size of my own compiled package was 2MB
less than that of the stock Debian package.

Shouldn't you compile with -O2 yourself to verify the result is the
same (size) as the binary package from the Debian archive?