Re: no libldap-dev from openldap2.2 package?

John v/d Kamp <j.vdkamp@connectux.com> writes:

> When I install the development files for libldap, I always get the
> libldap2-dev package, version 2.1.30. It also seems from the
> debian/control file in openldap2.2 that there is no libldap2.2-dev (or
> something) package that gives the new headers and /usr/lib/libldap.so
> that points to the new libldap version.

> Is there a specific reason that this package is left out?
> How should I compile my program so that it always links with
> /usr/lib/libldap-2.2.so.7?

You can't right now because GnuTLS support is only available for 2.1.  2.2
and later will need substantial reworking of that support, and without it,
the OpenSSL licensing issues cause too many licensing conflicts in Debian
for it to be safe to provide a -dev package that people can use widely.

I'm pretty sure that we can get funding to do the GnuTLS support for
OpenLDAP properly.  It's just taking a really long time to work through
that process.