Re: screenshot with package description

On 4/27/06, Gonéri Le Bouder <goneri@rulezlan.org> wrote:
> On Thursday 27 April 2006 01:13, Andrew Donnellan wrote:
> > On 4/27/06, Gonéri Le Bouder <goneri@rulezlan.org> wrote:
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > On graphic software websites, in general the most visited page is the one
> > > with the screenshots because it give a good overview of the software. In
> > > general a screenshot is better that the limited description provided by
> > > the Debian control file.
> > >
> > > I think that tools like synaptic or Debian Installer should have an
> > > option to provided a screenshot or/and the project logo with the text
> > > description.
> >
> > Good idea. Other Debian based distros have started with the project
> > logo, a screenshot feature would be nice.
> IMO, the same mechanism should be utilised for both logo and screenshot.
> (snip)
> > > Files size:
> > > There is about 2500 X11 based packages in Debian. This is an estimation
> > > of the
> >
> > Where did you get that number from?
> apt-cache rdepends libx11-6|wc -l
> It returns 2214 on a i386 testing.

Is apt-cache rdepends recursive? (e.g. many of the KDE package don't
directly depend on libx11-6, they depend on kdelibs and qt, which
depend on libx11-6)

> > > global cost on the mirrors with different pictures size. One picture per
> > > packages.
> > >   jpg 200x150 8bit pictures: 8.5K => 21M
> > >   png 200x150 8bit pictures: 21K => 52.5M
> > >   jpg 400x300 8bit pictures: 30K => 75M
> > >   png 400x300 8bit pictures: 57K => 142M
> > > I don't think that it is a big problem.
> >
> > Also depends on the compression level set. There could even be several
> > different sizes you could download by passing an option.
> Yes, you're right. We could create tarball with different picture size/quality
> and let the user choose. But the storage cost will be more important.

It wouldn't take that much space. We could add to the mirror policy
allowing mirrors to choose if they do screenshots.

> Suggestion:
> g/gi/gimp2.0/logo_100x100.jpg
> g/gi/gimp2.0/logo_100x100.png
> g/gi/gimp2.0/screen1.desc
> g/gi/gimp2.0/screen1_200x150.jpg
> g/gi/gimp2.0/screen1_200x150.png
> g/gi/gimp2.0/screen1_400x300.jpg
> g/gi/gimp2.0/screen1_400x300.png
> g/gi/gimp2.0/screen4_200x150.png
> g/gi/gimp2.0/screen4_400x300.png # No jpg for this picture
> # tarball prebuild archive for ISO creation or offline users.
> g/gi_sid_low.tar # no need to compress compressed jpg/png
> g/gi_testing_hight.tar
> g/gi_sarge_medium.tar
>

> screen1.desc should containt thing like that:
> ------8<---------
> Author: foo bar
> Release: (<< 2.2.10)
> ------8<---------
>

> > > Network consumption:
> > > Screenshoots will not change for every new release of a software. One
> > > update
> >
> > Depends how major that new release is.
> In general GUI doesn't change on every release. e.g: the same screenshots can
> be used for KDE3.5.x apps.

Yes, but if a relatively major piece of software goes through several
major (at least GUI) revisions we should of course update the
screenshots.

> > > or less per year is i think enough. If we split this archive and with
> > > cache mechanism we could reduct a lot the download.
> > >
> > > I suggest to have Pixmaps:" entry in the control file with the name of
> > > one or more screenshots or logo so we'll be able to have a same picture
> > > shared with different release of a package.
> well we can avoid this change.
>
> > Yes. I would think though that the project logo could be included in
> > the package and screenshots downloaded externally.
> I prefere to keep both on the same place to be able to show the project logo
> during the package selection/installation.

I would like to be able to choose whether I want the screenshots, but
the logo is small enough it can easily fit in with the lists, e.g.
var/lib/apt/pixmaps/logos or something like that. With the screenshot
tarballs they would basically be extracted to /var/lib/apt/pixmaps.

andrew

--
Andrew Donnellan
http://andrewdonnellan.com